Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

South African News

Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane fights for her job

Busisiwe Mkhwebane

Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane will find herself in the hot seat on Wednesday to provide reasons why she should not be removed from office.

DA Chief Whip John Steenhuisen approached Parliament to have her removed, saying she’s incompetent.

This follows the judgment that the Public Protector grossly overreached her powers when she recommended that the Constitution be amended to alter the mandate of the South African Reserve Bank.

Mkhwebane was heavily criticised for the decision.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js?client=ca-pub-3485131286003872

Mkhwebane “did not have regard thereto that her office requires her to be objective, honest and to deal with matters according to the law and that a higher standard is expected from her”, the judgment stated. “She failed to explain her actions adequately.”

Busisiwe Mkhwebane

This could possibly lay the foundation of a new application, seeking an order that Mkhwebane has abused her office.

The South African Reserve Bank (SARB) had sought such an order in the case, but the judges rejected it on a technicality. They said the court would not be averse to finding she had abused her office, if the correct procedure were followed.

The judges lashed out at the Public Protector, saying her remedial actions “were a product of a procedurally unfair process and are unlawful” and “the process was not impartial”.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js?client=ca-pub-3485131286003872

A full bench of judges ordered Mkhwebane to pay 15% of the SARB’s costs in her personal capacity. The remaining 85% will be paid by her office.

The Public Protector’s office also has to pay ABSA’s costs on an attorney and client scale, including the costs of three counsel.

In addition the court found that the Public Protector’s remedial action with regards to the Special Investigating Unit (SIU) was unlawful and should be set aside.

Source: News24

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js?client=ca-pub-3485131286003872

Also, read

Former Parktown Boys coach pleads guilty to 144 S.E.XUAL assault charges

Another train carriage torched in Cape Town

Stellenbosch land owner heads to court for eviction order

You May Also Like

Health and Beauty

On May 28, 2024, coinciding with International Menstrual Hygiene Day, the I_Menstruate Movement initiated a vital crowdfunding campaign on BackaBuddy to address the pressing issue of period poverty...

Sports News

Johannesburg, 12 June 2024 – TCL, one of the dominant players in the global television industry and a leading consumer electronics brand, continues to strengthen...

Entertainment

Born Into Fame is now streaming on Showmax,  Born Into Fame is a Showmax Original reality show that is an all-access look at the...

South African News

The Deputy President of the United Democratic Movement (UDM), Nqabayomzi Kwankwa, has been abducted and subsequently rescued in Cape Town, according to UDM leader...

Copyright © 2020 ZoxPress Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.