New Real manager Julen Lopetegui takes charge of his first game since replacing Zinedine Zidane as manager. Real have won just one of their last 10 La Liga meetings with Atletico.
Real Madrid will play their first competitive game without Cristiano Ronaldo when they take on city rivals Atletico Madrid in the Uefa Super Cup in Estonia, on Wednesday (20:00 BST).
Simeone remains suspended from the touchline after he was sent off in Atletico’s Europa League semi-final against Arsenal and was handed a four-match ban. He will be serving the third match of the suspension.
Forward Vinicius Junior, an 18-year-old signing from Flamengo, could feature but defender Alvaro Odriozola, bought from Real Sociedad, will miss the game in Tallinn with a minor groin injury.
New Atletico signings Thomas Lemar, Rodri, Nikola Kalinic, Gelson Martins and Santiago Arias have all travelled to Estonia.
World Cup winners Antoine Griezmann and Lucas Hernandez are also expected to play.
‘We never feel beneath anyone’
Real Madrid manager Julen Lopetegui: “My first official game is a final. A match that Real Madrid have earned the right to play in once again.
“Atletico are a team we know well and it will be a local derby. It’s all set up to be a great match and a great final. They are a great team with great players, and a coach who has been there for years leading them in the right direction.
“It’ll be a tough game both physically and tactically. It’s a final and these two teams will bring the best out of each other. We’re focused on what we need to do to beat Atletico.”
Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone: “The important thing is the emotion, the hope. This game could be decided on an emotional level.
“The arrival of good players guarantees good individuals but not a better team until we are all working in the same direction. Obviously, our budgets are not the same. But in terms of motivation, we never feel beneath anyone.
“In this match, we will do everything we can to take the game where we want it.”
- It is the first time in 43 seasons that both sides in the Super Cup have come from the same city
- The Champions League holders have won 23 of the 42 editions
- This will be the fourth time in the past five years that the Super Cup will be contested by two Spanish sides
- It will be Spain’s 15th Super Cup triumph. Italy have nine with England on seven
- Real Madrid can become the first side to win three successive Super Cups
- They have won four of their six games in this competition
- It is Real Madrid’s seventh appearance in the Super Cup (W4, L2)
- Atletico have won both of their past two games in the competition
- They can become the first club to make it three victories from three in this competition; they are currently level with Anderlecht, Juventus and Valencia
- The two teams have met nine times in Uefa competition but Atletico have never beaten Real Madrid in a final or eliminated them in Europe
Source: BBC News