In a short statement, the Department of International Relations and Cooperation (Dirco) on Tuesday said: “The South African government has been informed of the kidnapping of a South African national in Burkina Faso. A South African man is believed to have been kidnapped in the West African country of Burkina Faso.
“The government, through the missions in that region, is working with law enforcement agencies to attend to the situation.”
According to Dirco, the family of the affected South African had been informed. “Government urges all South Africans to be alert as they travel and to be sensitive to possible security challenges in areas they are visiting or working.
“South Africans also are reminded to register with the mission or with Dirco when they are working or travelling abroad,” department spokesperson Ndivhuwo Mabaya said in the statement.
Netwerk24 reported that the kidnapped man works at a mine in the West African country. He was reportedly kidnapped along with two others.
The department could not be reached for further comment.